Monday, February 23, 2009

Guerra con Caramelos!

This sunday I found myself in the largest, most insane candy fight that I have ever been in, why? Carnival!

I still do not know what carnival celebrates, if it celebrates anything at all, but I am not complaining. On saturday I watched Vilanova i la Geltru's Carnival parade. It was just like all the parades back home, except with one super special ingrediant: Fuego! Parades are so much more exciting when everything and everyone is on fire. 

On Sunday morning I put on a blue vest and went across street to the university to meet up with all other university students. There I was given about 10 pounds of candy and a partner. Shorty there after we skipped around the town ( yes skipped ) to the beat of a small marching band for two hours throwing candy at what ever we pleased. After that we returned to the university to eat lunch. After that I was given 15 more pounds of candy. After that we skipped for another hour or so until we ended up in the town square. 

And this is when the Guerra (War) started. It is tradition for thousand of people to throw unfathable amounts of candy at each other. Though this war only lasted for a few minutes, it was one of the scariest most painful things I have ever done. But also the coolest. I'm sorry but these photos do not do justice. I tried taking some photos during the heat of the battle, but the candy hitting my hands was too painful.





No comments: